Saturday, January 24, 2009

Zombies and Yardsticks

They told me that mefloquine gives you weird dreams. They were right. So Lindsey and I were riding a bus and suddenly realized that all of the passengers were zombies. They were not very aggressive, but we still felt threatened. The only weapons we had to defend ourselves were yardsticks. I feel like what happened next is fairly self-explanitory.

Actually the weird dreams were all in Colorado Springs. So far, no weird Africa dreams. This is probably a blessing from the Lord, because things are strange and different enough as is. One of the Ugandan staff here explained to me why roosters crow three times in the morning. Once at 2, just in case you are making a long journey, once at 3:30 to remind you, and once at sunrise to wake everyone else up for the day.

Thus far we have ventured out into the city, gone to a Ugandan construction site, and visited a school in a rural community. Everything is very different. Ugandan construction practices are really different, but very very clever. Labor costs less than machinery here so everything is done by hand, from the brick making to digging a septic tank. Being a mzungu (white person) means you attract a lot of attention to yourself. In the back of my head I think that my plan was to just adjust right away and skip culture shock. Words to the wise: that is a bad plan. Things are different and uncomfortable. And they might be for a while. I read in a book that the best way to deal with it is to keep trying new things and understand why it is hard.

Church tomorrow, heading to Jinja on Tuesday. I will try to post some pictures soon. I have been taking them.

1 comment:

Kercho said...

miss you brother - prayers your way - tell Janet hi! And for that matter if you see the Hoyts please give Steve a big hug for me!!