Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Great White Elephant Pony

I am trying to feed a giant white horse, the size of an elephant. But it is rearing and kicking. Bystanders are warning me to stop, telling me that it is dangerous, but i just keep trying to pet the thing. All the while a hyena-horse (like from Lord of the Rings) is running around in circles. It has a white Texas Tech logo on its forehead. We are in some sort of corral.

They have been stranger, but that one was pretty vivid. Thankfully they are not frightening, just entertaining.

We have been to Bukaleba for the past three days, John taught me a lot about my job out there. It is going to be half construction management and half owners representative. The building will be beautiful. The misistry brought in four Kenyan masons to do the stonework, the whole building is cut stone, and it is all cut by hand. I will take pictures next week.

Arise Africa is pretty incredible, the more I see of the minsitry the more impressed I am. It is a Uganda based minsitry that plants churches, schools, and orphanages. The land out at bukaleba is very fertile but largley undeveloped, so in addition to a babies home and pastors school, they are putting in sugar cane fields and goat herds to help fund the ministry. The goal is to be self sustainging. Their main office is in Jinja and I have been spending most of the day helping out with some renovations they are doing to an adjacent building. Jerome is teaching me some Lusoga slang.

God is teaching me here. A lot about missions and service. John Sauder is a pretty incredible example of humility and a servants heart. I will have to explain more about his work later.

Mukama wafo yebisibwe

Andrew

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Dude, I'm excited about the work you will be be doing in Uganda!

I'll be praying for you, bro.