Monday, October 20, 2008

Vaccinations

Just an FYI, the first modern vaccine was for Smallpox. In 1796, Dr. Edward Jenner discovered that exposure to the cowpox virus could prevent someone from contracting the much deadlier smallpox. Thanks Ed!

I went to the Brooks Army Medical Center (BAMC, pronounced Bam-See) in San Antonio on Friday to get my vaccinations and medicines for the trip. It is about a 3 hour drive, and this Friday was homecoming so we made a weekend of it. I was supposed to get 6 shots, but they only give out the yellow fever vaccine on Wednesdays, so I only got 5. Two in one arm and three in the other. One of them is a triple, three diseases for one stick in the arm. I am currently immune to Meningitis, Influenza, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis, Hepatitis A, and Typhoid. So if you were planning on giving me any of those diseases as part of a foul plot, you missed your chance. Sucka.

Did you know there is a Hepatitis E? Africa is an exposure risk.

I also have 6 months worth of medicine that will make me impervious to Malaria. The only possible side effect listed is nightmares. I am not making this up. We will see how that works out. Time to start keeping a dream journal.

So, the sum of all this is that God is so good. I heard Chris speak last night about desiring to hear from God. How badly do I want to hear from him?

4 comments:

Whitney said...

mmmm i am so excited for you, andrew! i'm also proud of you deciding not to get diseases. i'm so praying for you, although i'm now sad i don't have a wedding date...i was thinking about flying you to maui for some of the weddings i'm going to...oh well!

mail me a support letter, k?

Whitney Branscome
120 Manino Circle #103
Kihei, Hawaii 96753

love you!

Joshua said...

Yeah...you can't do the things Edward Jenner used to do anymore. He definitely used a human test subject. I mean he didn't really have much choice because smallpox doesn't infect animals, but still. I've heard malaria pills can cause hallucinations. And prolonged exposure (years) can lead to deteriorated eyesight. I learned that from my friend Bryan who grew up in western Africa.

yay Africa. Ill definitely be praying for you. I love how God uses Africa. I'm glad other people get to go since I have no idea how long it will be before I get to go back.

Cody Henderson said...

Dang, I was completely prepared to win our next settlers game by starting a Hepatitis A outbreak. I guess it is back to fair play...boring.

Patrick said...

I had an elaborate scheme to give you hepatitis "Eh", I stole it from the Canadian government over the hurrication. Bet you aren't immune to that.