Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Crew

Our smallest construction worker. Don't worry, we don't have child laborers on site. But when school is out a lot of kids come hang out on site until we make them leave (its a dangerous place). This guy likes to come out and try to help, and we have to chase him of the site sometimes so he does not hurt himself. Still, I catch him every now and again with a shovel trying to help mix mortar. He is a really cool kid.

The masons taught me how to dress stone. Here I am with the fruits of my labor. Took me about an hour to shape an 11 inch stone. Then the masons helped me set it in mortar and plumb it. Benson, one of our Kenyans, dresses up to 60 feet a day with nothing but chisels and a hammer.

This is God (the nickname here for Gordon). We have become pretty good friends. He does contract labor for us now and sometimes drives me up a wall. But we get along ok.

This is our crew on the site right now. Foreman, two masons, and three masons assistants. For digging and concrete work we hire out contract labor. I am getting better at negotiating contracts, but its not my forte. This was taken on April 21st, Texas Independence Day. I made everyone an honorary Aggie so we could have muster. The flag flew proudly over the site for a few hours, until i needed my handkerchief back.


And here I am with my crew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture with the Texan flag blowing in the wind. Brings a tear to my eye it does. *sniff*

Unknown said...

I like seeing pictures! These make me happy.