Monday, March 9, 2009

Fightin' Texas Aggie Rosebushes

I am the 12th man on the field, playing for the Fightin' Texas Aggies. But there are only about 100 people in the stands and they are all wearing red. The student section is filled with large flowering shrubs. The red flowers are in full bloom and gardeners are tending them.

Last week was a lot of hard work. I helped dig a foundation for one of the nursery school buildings and the stone is almost up. I am feeling more comfortable in the culture, but I am still trying to learn my job. There was a moment when I imagined that there was a magic door that would take me back to the states, I asked myself if I would walk through it if such a door existed. The final verdict, it would be a decision I would regret. So maybe that means I am adjusting ok.

This weekend was pretty cool, apart from Lindsey being gone. Bobby is one of the Church of Christ missionaries here. I spent Saturday helping him work on his car. He is installing a vegetable oil conversion for his 1997 diesel suburban. Then Saturday night I read a really good Alistair MacLean novel, and went with bobby to his friends house to help them harvest from a bee-hive. Got stung once through my suit.

Book Recommendation: Pursuit of the Common Good. By Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner. I wept.

2 comments:

HenryT said...

Andrew!! I have a buddy of mine that has been in my bible study for about a year in a half now named Lewis McNeil. He is in Uganda right now with EMI and I never got to tell him about you. Hope you read this in time to meet him and tell him how awesome Henry is.

Respectfully,

HenryT

Anonymous said...

so last night i had a dream that involved being in africa with you, a toilet overflowing, a girl i went to high school with & one of the kids from central...& unfortunately i am not on drugs. i've got to stop reading your blog before i go to bed.
praying for you friend!